Place:


Richborough  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Richborough like this:

RICHBOROUGH, a hamlet in Ash-next-Sandwich parish, Kent; on a hill adjacent to the Ramsgate and Deal railway and to the river Stour, 1½ mile N by W of Sandwich. It was once an island, surrounded by the Stour; it seems to have been a post of the ancient Britons; it became the site of the Roman strong fort Rutu-piæ, for defending the adjacent coast, called from it Littus Rutupinum; it was the favourite landing-place of the Romans in crossing from the coast of Bononia, the modern Boulogne; it was known to the Saxons as Reptacester; it has yielded great variety of British, Roman, and Saxon relics; and it now presents one of the most striking assemblages of extant Roman remains in Great Britain. ...


These remains include towers, gates, acastrensian amphitheatre, the base of a building 144 feet by 104, and part of walls 560 feet long, from 26 to 30 feet high, and from 6 to 12 feet thick; and are all described in Smith's " Antiquities of Richborough, Re-culver, and Lymne, " published in 1850.

Richborough through time

Richborough is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Richborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Richborough, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21605

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Richborough ".