Place:


Pendeen  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pendeen like this:

PENDEEN, a village and a chapelry in St. Just-in-Penwith parish, Cornwall. The village stands on the coast, at Por therras Cove, 7 miles W N W of Penzance r.station; is of recent origin; and has a post-office under Penzance, and a coastguard station. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 3, 513. ...


Houses, 615. The property is divided among a few. Pendeen House was the birthplace of Dr. Borlase, the antiquary. Extensivemining is carried on; and the rocks possess interest for geologists. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170.* Patron, the Rev. J. Aitken. The church is modern and handsome; and was erected, in their leisure hours, by the inhabitants themselves.

Pendeen through time

Pendeen is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pendeen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pendeen, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21587

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pendeen ".