Place:


Newlyn  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newlyn like this:

NEWLYN, a sea-port village in Paul parish, and a chapelry partly also in Madron parish, Cornwall. The village stands on Mounts bay, under Paul hill, ¾ of a mile S W of Penzance r. station; was burnt by the Spaniards in 1595; consists chiefly of one street nearly½ a mile long, with several deflecting alleys; carries on extensive fisheries, with about 300 boats; is notable for malodour of fish-refuse and cottage-dunghills; and has a post-office under Penzance, an inn, and a large brewery. ...


A small harbour, with a pier, admits vessels of 100 tons; and a new harbour was projected in the latter part of 1865, to comprise two piers inclosing and protecting a water-area of about 80 acres, to have a depth of 15 feet at low-water spring tides at the pier-heads, and to be constructed at a cost of £50,000. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 3,086. Houses, 678. Pop. of the Paul portion, 2, 904. Houses, 642. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.

Newlyn through time

Newlyn is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newlyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newlyn, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21568

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newlyn ".