Place:


Milnathort  Kinross Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Milnathort like this:

Milnathort, a little market town in Orwell parish, Kinross-shire, lying 400 feet above sea-level, near the left bank of North Queich Water, and within 1 mile of the NW corner of Loch Leven. Its station on the North British railway is 13/8 mile N by E of Kinross station, and 13¾ miles WSW of Ladybank Junction. ...


It stands amid a fine tract of country, screened by the Lomond Hills on the E, and by the Ochils on the N and W; and comprises fine well-built streets, which are lighted with gas from the Kinross and Milnathort gas-works (1835). There are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Clydesdale Bank, 3 hotels, a town-hall, 2 schools, a library (1797), etc. A handsome bridge across the Queich was built about 1850, in place of a crazy, shabby, old structure. Orwell parish church, on a neighbouring eminence, was built in 1729, and completely renovated a few years ago, being now all that can be desired as regards accommodation and comfort. It has two large and very handsome stained-glass windows. There are also a Free church and a U.P. church, the latter of which, erected in 1869 at a cost of £3000, is a fine Gothic building with 700 sittings and a spire 125 feet high. The poet Walter Chalmers Smith, D.D., LL.D., was Free Church minister from 1853 till 1858. Wednesday is marketday; and four old cattle fairs have been superseded by weekly and monthly live-stock sales, which are largely attended, as the only sale of the kind in the county. Cotton-weaving was long carried on, but went into decline; but the manufacture of tartan shawls and plaids, introduced in 1838, has always continued to prosper, and was extended about 1867 by the erection of a large factory. Pop. (1801) 959, (1831) 1772, (1861) 1476, (1871) 1312, (1881) 1269, of whom 733 were females. Houses (1881) 344 inhabited, 25 vacant, 2 building.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.

Milnathort through time

Milnathort is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milnathort itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milnathort, in Perth and Kinross and Kinross Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21542

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milnathort ".