Place:


Low Oulton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Low Oulton like this:

OULTON (Low), a township in Over parish, Cheshire; 3¾ miles E by N of Tarporley. Acres, 937. Real property, £937. Pop., 53. Houses, 6. The manor belonged anciently to the Earls of Chester; passed to the Kingsleys and to Richard de Odleton; was long held by the Oultons, descendants of Richard de Odleton; passed, by marriage, to the Starkies; was purchased, in the latter part of the 17th century, by the Egertons; and, with Oulton Hall and all the land, belongs now to Philip de Malpas G. ...


Egerton, Bart. The Hall was built by Vanbrugh, and altered by Wyatt. Darley Hallwas the seat of the Starkies, and was taken down by the Egertons.

Low Oulton through time

Low Oulton is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Low Oulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Low Oulton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21526

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Low Oulton ".