Place:


Lower Darwen  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Darwen like this:

DARWEN (Lower), a township and a chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Blackburn and Bolton railway, 2 miles S by E of Blackburn; and has a post office under Blackburn, and a r. station. Acres, 2, 490. Real property, £10, 322. Pop., 3, 301. Houses, 623. There are cotton-mills, extensive paper-works, and some other manufactories. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop. 2, 081. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1830, at a cost of £5, 491. There are a Wesleyan chapel and three public schools.

Lower Darwen through time

Lower Darwen is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Darwen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Darwen, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21524

Date accessed: 24th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Darwen ".