Lemsford  Hertfordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lemsford like this:

LEMSFORD, a hamlet and a chapelry in BishopsHatfield parish, Herts. The hamlet lies on the river Lea, near the Great Northern railway, 2½ miles N by W of Hatfield; and bears the name of Lemsford-Mills.—The chapelry was constituted in 1858; and its Post town is Welwyn. Pop, 490. Houses, 97. ...

The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £200.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church stands opposite the entrance of Brocket Park, on land belonging to Earl Cowper; was erected in 1859, by Countess Cowper and her children, in memory of the late Earl; is mainly in the early English style, with chancel in a later style; and has a tower.

Lemsford through time

Lemsford is now part of Welwyn Hatfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Welwyn Hatfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lemsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lemsford, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th September 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lemsford ".