Place:


Leeming  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leeming like this:

LEEMING, a hamlet and a chapelry in Burneston parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on Erminestreet, here called Leeming Lane, 1 mile SSE of a station of the name of Leeming-Lane on the Northallerton and Leyburn railway, and 2 miles NE by E of Bedale. -The chapelry is conterminate with the township of Exelby, Leeming, and Newton. ...


Post town, Bedale. Acres, 2, 331. Pop., 780. Houses, 179. The name Leeming signifies a stone way, and alludes to the stonepaved Ermine street. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £130. Patron, the Vicar of Burneston. The church is an edifice of red brick. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Leeming through time

Leeming is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leeming itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leeming, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21509

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leeming ".