Place:


Langley Bury  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley Bury like this:

LANGLEY-BURY, a hamlet in Abbots-Langley parish, Herts; near the Grand Junction canal and the North-western railway, 3¼ miles NW by N of Watford. .A handsome church was erected here, in 1864, at the expense of Jones Lloyd, Esq.; is in the early decorated English style, of square flints and Bath stone; comprises nave, N aisle, chancel, vestry, and porch, with tower and shingle spire 130 feet high; and includes, on the S side of the chancel, a mortuary chapel of the Lloyd family. ...


Langley-Bury House was built by Chief Justice Raymond; passed to the Whittingstalls; and is now the seat of J. Lloyd, Esq.

Langley Bury through time

Langley Bury is now part of Three Rivers district. Click here for graphs and data of how Three Rivers has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langley Bury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley Bury, in Three Rivers and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21507

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langley Bury ".