Place:


Lamlash  Buteshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lamlash like this:

Lamlash, a village in Kilbride parish, on the E side of Arran Island, Buteshire. Standing on the NW shore of Lamlash Bay, 5 ½ miles S by E of Brodick, and 15 miles in direct line by sea SW of Ardrossan, it chiefly consists of one long string of houses, and is a favourite summer sea-bathing resort, enjoying regular steamboat communication with Brodick, Ardrossan, Rothesay, and Greenock. ...


It has a good stone pier, a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Bank of Scotland, two hotels, a public school, and the new parish church of Kilbride. Lamlash Bay, with a horse-shoe outline 5 miles in extent, opens westward from the Firth of Clyde, between Clauchlands Point and Kingscross Point; measures 2 7/8 miles across the entrance, nearly three-fifths of which are occupied by Holy Isle; and, being sheltered from every wind, is a first-rate natural harbour of refuge.—Ord. Sur., shs. 21, 13, 1870.

Lamlash through time

Lamlash is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lamlash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamlash, in North Ayrshire and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21502

Date accessed: 23rd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lamlash ".