Place:


Knoydart  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Knoydart like this:

Knoydart, a district and a quoad sacra parish in Glenelg parish, W Inverness-shire. The district is bounded on the N by Loch Hourn, on the E by Kilmonivaig, on the S by Loch Nevis, on the W by the Sound of Sleat. Its greatest length, from E to W, is 15 miles; its greatest breadth is 9 miles; and its area is about 85 square miles. ...


The surface is mostly mountainous, yet includes a considerable aggregate of arable land; and it abounds in features of romantic and grandly picturesque scenery. Guseran Water rises on the E border, and runs through the middle to the Sound of Sleat; and Inverie House stands on Loch Nevis, 10 miles SSE of Isle Ornsay and 54 WSW of Fort Augustus, and is the seat of John Baird, Esq. of Lochwood and Knoydart (b. 1852; suc. 1876), who holds 60,000 acres in the shire, valued at £4033 per annum. The quoad sacra parish, which is nearly conterminous with the district, and which sprang from a mission station of the Royal Bounty, is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg. The stipend is £120. A Roman Catholic church, St Anthony's, was built in 1850, and contains 300 sittings. Pop. of parish (1871) 470, (1881) 437.

Knoydart through time

Knoydart is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knoydart itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knoydart, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21498

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knoydart ".