Place:


Keith  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Keith like this:

Keith, an ancient parish on the SW border of Haddingtonshire, now forming the western district of Humbie parish. Keith and ancient Humbie, at the end of the 17th century, were called respectively Keith-Symmars and Keith-Hundeby. Keith Water, formed, at the boundary with Edinburghshire, by the confluence of Earl Water and Salters Burn, runs 17/8 mile north-eastward, across ancient Keith parish, to a confluence with Humbie Water, 4¼ furlongs N of the present parish church. ...


Keith House, once a seat of the Earls Marischal, and now the property of the Earl of Hopetoun, stands a little to the left of Keith Water, ¾ mile WSW of that stream's confluence with Humbie Water and 3¾ miles NNE of Blackshiels. Once a fine old building, it acquired the timber used in its construction in a gift from the King of Denmark towards the close of the 16th century, and has within its grounds remains of an ancient chapel and graveyard. Places called Keith, Keith Mains, and Upper Keith are within from 3 to 10 furlongs of Keith House; and a fourth called Keith Hill lies 2¾ miles to the SSE.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Keith through time

Keith is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Keith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keith in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21483

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Keith ".