Place:


Isle Ornsay  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Isle Ornsay like this:

Isle Ornsay, a village and an islet in Sleat parish, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire. The village stands on the W side of the Sound of Sleat, near the mouth of Loch na Daal, opposite the mouth of Loch Hourn, 14 miles by steamboat route S by W of Kyle-Akin, and 11 by road SSE of Broadford, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


Possessing also an inn and an excellent natural harbour, thoroughly sheltered, commodious, and much frequented by shipping, it is regularly visited by the Glasgow steamers to the north on their way through the Sound of Sleat, and commands the nearest route for tourists, by walking and by boat, to Loch Scavaig and the Cuchullin Mountains. The islet is small ( 2/3 x 1/3 mile), but serves to protect the entrance to the harbour. It is crowned with a lighthouse, erected in 1857 at a cost of £4527, and showing a fixed white light, visible at a distance of 13 nautical miles.

Isle Ornsay through time

Isle Ornsay is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Isle Ornsay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Isle Ornsay, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21478

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Isle Ornsay ".