Place:


Haverthwaite  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haverthwaite like this:

HAVERTHWAITE, a village in Colton parish, and a chapelry in Colton and Cartmel parishes, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Leven, 2¾ miles SW of Newby-Bridge, and 5¼ N by W of Cark and Cartmel r. station; and has a post office under Newton-in-Cartmel. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and enlarged in 1858. ...


Real property, £4, 834; of which £100 are in ironworks. Pop., 1, 099. Houses, 218. Pop. of the Colton portion, 540. Houses, 107. The landowners are J. P. Machell and A. B. Dickson, Esqs. The iron works are in Blackborrow. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £127.* Patron, alternately the Incumbent of Colton and the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower; and stands in a pretty spot.

Haverthwaite through time

Haverthwaite is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haverthwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haverthwaite, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21451

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haverthwaite ".