Place:


Gullane  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gullane like this:

Gullane (anc. Golyn), a village in Dirleton parish, N Haddingtonshire, ½ mile SE of the head of Gullane Bay, and 4 miles NW of Drem Junction. The sandy links around it, burrowed by hundreds of rabbits, form an excellent coursing ground; and it has a race-horse training establishment, an inn, and a public school. ...


Its church, St Andrew's, given early in the 13th century to Dryburgh Abbey by Sir William de Vaux, and made collegiate by Sir Walter de Haliburton in 1446, is roofless now and much dilapidated. Imperfect at both extremities, it comprised a nave and an apsidal chancel, 71 and 20 feet long, which retain a zigzagged chancel arch of advanced Norman character, and a broad trigonal string-course on the outer N wall of the nave and the S side of the chancel. The ruins are figured in Grose's Antiquities (1789), and described in T. S. Muir's -Notiees of Ancient Churches in Scotland (1848). Till 1612 Gullane gave name to the parish of Dirleton.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Gullane through time

Gullane is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gullane itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gullane in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21441

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gullane ".