Place:


Great Lever  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Lever like this:

LEVER (GREAT), a township-chapelry, with a village, in Middleton parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the Bolton and Bury canal, 1½ mile SSE of Bolton r. station. Post town, Bolton. Acres, 770. Real property, £10,174; of which £3,750 are in mines. ...


Pop., 722. Houses, 138. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Bradford and the Earl of Ellesmere. There are some good residences; and there are chemical-works, bleaching-works, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is in the early and decorated English styles; and consists of nave and chancel, with a bell-turret.

Great Lever through time

Great Lever is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Lever itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Lever, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21438

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Lever ".