Drem  East Lothian


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Drem like this:

Drem, a village and a barony in Athelstaneford parish, Haddingtonshire, 4¼ miles N by W of Haddington. The village stands on the North British railway at the junction of the branch to North Berwick, being 4¾ miles SSW of that town, and 17¾ E by N of Edinburgh; at it is a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...

The barony, comprising more than 800 acres of fine land, belonged once to the Knights Templars, and is now the property of the Earl of Hopetoun. A small Roman station seems to have been on it, and ½ mile distant there from was a Caledonian or Romano-British town, which appears to have been strongly fortified, and has left distinct traces on the crown of a conical eminence to the extent of about 2 acres. The priest's house of the Knights Templars' establishment is still standing, as also are a holly hedge that fenced the priest's garden and the greater part of a little chapel, served by the priest; but the graveyard attached to the chapel has been converted into a fruitful garden. About 100 yards from the old chapel a very perfect specimen was discovered in April 1882 of an ancient sepulchre, formed of six red sandstone flags, and containing a skull and a clay urn.

Drem through time

Drem is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drem itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drem in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Drem".