Place:


Derry Hill  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Derry Hill like this:

CHRISTCHURCH-DERRYHILL, a chapelry in Chippenham, Calne, and Devizes districts, Wilts; on the Wilts and Berks canal, near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Chippenham r. station. It includes the extra-parochial place of Pewsham, the liberty of Bowood, and parts of the parishes of Chippenham, Corsham, Calne, Bremhill, and Bishops-Cannings; and was constituted in 1841. ...


Post town, Chippenham. Pop., 1, 388. Houses, 304. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Calne. The church stands in Studley hamlet, Calne parish; and is a handsome edifice of 1840, with tower and lofty spire.

Derry Hill through time

Derry Hill is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Derry Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Derry Hill in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21390

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Derry Hill ".