Place:


Dalguise  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalguise like this:

Dalguise, a village, with a Society's school, in Little Dunkeld parish, central Perthshire, on the right bank of the Tay, with a station on the Highland railway, 4½ miles NNW of Dunkeld, under which it has a post and telegraph office. The railway crosses the Tay, ½ mile N of the station, on a latticed iron-girder viaduct 360 feet inspan, resting on one stone pier, and terminating at each end in handsome towers and wings of masonry 71 feet long, and there it begins to open on the beautiful Vale of Athole. ...


Dalguise House, near the village, is partly an old building, partly modern; the estate was given by William the Lyon to Dunkeld church, and in 1543 was transferred by Bishop Crichton to John, second son of Steuart of Arntullie, whose descendant, John Steuart, Esq., tenth Laird of Dalguise (b. 1799; suc. 1821), holds 1750 acres in Perthshire, valued at £1036 per annum, but is non-resident, having been one of the earliest settlers in Cape Colony, where he is Master of the Supreme Court.

Dalguise through time

Dalguise is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalguise itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalguise, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21385

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalguise ".