Place:


Colnbrook  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colnbrook like this:

COLNBROOK, a small town and a chapelry on the mutual border of Middlesex and Bucks. The town stands on the river Colne, 2 miles S of Langley r. station, and 4¼ N by W of Staines; and has a post office‡ under Slough. It dates from very early times; was incorporated in 1543; had long a weekly market; and still has fairs on 5 April and 16 Oct. ...


A railway through it, from the Great Western at West Drayton to the Southwestern at Staines, was authorised in 1866. The chapelry is in the parishes of Stanwell, Horton, and Langley-Marsh. Pop., 1, 196. Houses, 245. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £183. Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was built in 1869. There are a Baptist chapel, public rooms, and two public schools.

Colnbrook through time

Colnbrook is now part of Slough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Slough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colnbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colnbrook, in Slough and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21376

Date accessed: 19th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colnbrook ".