Place:


Clapton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapton like this:

CLAPTON, two chapelries in Hackney parish, Middlesex; between the North London railway and the river Lea, 3½ miles NE by N of St. Paul's, London. They adjoin Hackney and Lea-Bridge r. stations; are jointly a suburb of London; have post offices of Lower and Upperunder London NE; are thickly studded with villa residences; include the London Orphan asylum, built at a cost of £30, 000, the Hackney grammar-school, and a large india-rubber factory; and had Lords Northumberland, Brock, and Hunsdon, and the family of John Howard as residents. ...


Pop., 3, 520. The livings are p. curacies in the dio. of London. Value of Lower C., £350; of Upper C., £150. Patron of the former, the Rector of Hackney-St. John; of the latter, the Bishop of L. Upperchurch was built in 1869, at a cost of about £15, 000; and is in the style of the 13th century. There are an Independent chapel and a Wesleyan chapel; and the latter was built in 1865, at a cost of £5, 500.

Clapton through time

Clapton is now part of Hackney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hackney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapton, in Hackney and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21373

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clapton ".