Place:


Carradale  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carradale like this:

Carradale, a village, a rivulet, and a bay on the E side of Kintyre, Argyllshire. The village, in Saddell parish, stands on the bay, at the mouth of the rivulet, 13 miles N by E of Campbeltown; at it are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an iron steam-boat pier (1871), an hotel, Saddell parish church, a Free Church preaching station, and a public school. ...


Carradale Water, formed by the Drochaid and Narachan Burns, runs about 7 miles south-south-eastward to the bay; has a considerable volume; and is an excellent angling-stream, frequented by salmon. The bay is flanked, on the NE side, by a rocky headland, the Aird of Carradale (133 feet); is 1 mile broad and 5 furlongs long; and opens, with south-south-eastward exposure, into the southern part of Kilbrannan Sound. Remains of an old fort, which must once have been a place of some importance, measuring 240 feet by 72, are on the Aird of Carradale; and ruins of an oval vitrified fort, 450 feet in circumference, crown a small peninsula, on the W side of the bay. Carradale House, at its head, is a seat of David Carrick Buchanan, Esq. of Drumpellier (b. 1825; suc. 1840), who owns 18,000 acres in the shire, valued at £2575 per annum.

Carradale through time

Carradale is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carradale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carradale in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21363

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carradale ".