Place:


Calderbank  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Calderbank like this:

Calderbank, a large industrial village of NE Lanarkshire, partly in Bothwell but chiefly in Old Monkland parish, on the North Calder Water, 2 miles SSE of Airdrie. It has a post office under Airdrie, a board school, and an Established chapel of ease; and at it are situated the iron-works of the Monkland Company, with 6 blast furnaces, 46 puddling furnaces, and 6 rolling mills. The school, with accommodation for 252 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 186, and a grant of £158,9s. Pop. (1841) 1064, (1861) 2461, (1871) 2176, (1881) 1739.

Calderbank through time

Calderbank is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calderbank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calderbank in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21360

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calderbank ".