Place:


Calder  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Calder like this:

Calder, a seat of iron-works in Old Monkland parish, Lanarkshire, on North Calder river, adjacent to Carnbroe village in Bothwell parish, 1½ mile NNE of Holytown, and 2 miles SSE of Airdrie. The iron-works were founded in 1805; adopted the hot blast immediately after its invention in 1824; had 4 furnaces, and manufactured annually about 12,000 tons of iron in 1835; and had 6 furnaces built, and 4 in blast in 1879. ...


They adopted the newly patented Ferrie furnace system in the latter part of 1870, the effect of which is to save 4s. 6d. in coal, 2s. 5d. in ore, and 3s. 3d. in dross on every ton of coal, equal on a production of 10,000 tons to £5083,6s. 8d. The works have always been supplied with ironstone from New Monkland parish, and receive the output of two ironstone pits, 36 fathoms deep, on Garturk estate. Two coalpits are near, respectively 40 and 100 fathoms deep, the latter being the deepest pit in the parish. A board school here, with accommodation for 227 children, had (1879) a day and an evening attendance of 220 and 42, and grants of £188,2s. and £22,0s. 6d. Calder proper and Carnhroe are jointly called Calder Iron-works. Pop. of the whole (1861) 2136, (1871) 1787, (1881) 1895.

Calder through time

Calder is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calder itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calder in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21359

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calder ".