Amisfield  Dumfries Shire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Amisfield like this:

Amisfield, a village and a mansion in Tinwald parish,Dumfriesshire. The village stands on a head-stream of Lochar Water, near the Dumfries and Lockerbie branch of the Caledonian, under the Tinwald Hills, 4 miles NNE of Dumfries. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Dumfries. ...

The mansion, standing ½ mile NNW of the village, is partly a modern edifice, partly an old baronial fortalice, one of the most interesting of its kind. It belonged from the 12th century to the Anglo-Norman family of Charteris, of whom Sir Thomas became Lord High Chancellor of Scotland in 1280: Sir John was Warden of the West Marches under James V., and by that king (as ' Gudeman of Ballangeich ') was punished for wrong-doing to a widow: and another Sir John was an active Royalist during the Great Rebellion, as also was his brother Captain Alex. Charteris, beheaded at Edinburgh in 1650. An oak door, curiously carved with ' Samson and the lion, ' and dated 1600, has found its way from Amisfield Castle to the Antiquarian Museum at Edinburgh. Remains of a little fort, which may have been Roman, are on the Amisfield estate, near the line of a Roman road.

Amisfield through time

Amisfield is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amisfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amisfield, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th January 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amisfield ".