Place:


Harwood  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harwood like this:

HARWOOD, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Bolton r. station, and 4 W of Bury. The township comprises 1, 100 acres. Post town, Bolton. Real property, £5, 556; of which £800 are in mines, and £400 in quarries. ...


Pop., 2, 055. Houses, 435. The property is much subdivided. There are a cotton mill and a and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 1, 525. Houses, 326. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style; and has a small tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Harwood through time

Harwood is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harwood, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21310

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harwood ".