Place:


Altyre  Moray

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Altyre like this:

Altyre, a burn, an estate, and a quondam parish, in Elginshire. The burn rises in Edinkillie parish, on the SW slope of the Hill of Glaschyle, at an altitude of 950 feet: and flowing some 10 miles northward, past Altyre House and Forres, falls into Findhorn Bay, 1 mile WSW of Kinloss. It has an impetuous current, often flooding the neighbouring low grounds, and covering them with débris; in its lower reaches it takes the name of Forres Water. ...


Altyre House, 4 miles S of Forres, belongs to Sir William-Gordon Gordon-Cumming, fourth Bart., representative of the ancient Earls of Badenoch: and is a fine modern mansion in the Italian style, standing on the right bank of the burn, at an altitude of 212 feet above sea-level. Its estate consists mainly of wooded hill and of pasturage, but also includes much arable land, with thin but productive soil. The parish belonged to the parsonage of Dallas, till in 1661 it was annexed by Act of Parliament to Rafford. Its ancient church, ¾ mile N of Altyre House, is a small but interesting First Pointed structure: and a hill where the capital sentences of the baron court of Altyre were carried out, still bears the name of Gallow Hill.

Altyre through time

Altyre is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Altyre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Altyre in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21307

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Altyre ".