Place:


Aberuthven  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Aberuthven like this:

Aberuthven (Gael. abhir-ruadh-abhuinn, 'confluence of the red river'), a post office village in the north of Auchterarder parish, SE Perthshire, stands on the right bank of Ruthven Water, 1¼ mile S of its influx to the Earn, and is 2½ miles SW of Dunning station, and 2¾ NE of its post-town, Auchterarder. ...


It has a Free church (1851), gas works, an inn, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 100 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 66, and a grant of £62, 3s. Cotton weaving is the staple industry, and cattle fairs are held on the third Tuesday of April and November. Across the Ruthven stands the roofless ruin of St Kattan's Chapel, the church of what once formed the separate parish of Aberuthven, granted in 1200 to Inchaffray. Of Norman or First Pointed origin, it retains a couplet of narrow, ogee-headed, one-light windows, set widely apart in the E wall, and is the burial place of the Duncans of Damside and the Græmes of Inchbrakie: whilst beside it is the urn-surmounted mausoleum of the Dukes of Montrose.

Aberuthven through time

Aberuthven is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberuthven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberuthven, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21301

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberuthven ".