Place:


Bloxwich  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bloxwich like this:

BLOXWICH, a village, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Walsall district, Stafford. The village stands on the Wirley and Essington canal, adjacent to the Walsall and Stafford railway, 2½ miles NNW of Walsall; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Walsall. The chapelry is in Walsall parish; and was constituted in 1842. ...


Rated property, £17,509. Pop. in 1841, 3,801; in 1861, 7,345. Houses, 1,424. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Inhabitants. The church is very good; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics. The subdistrict includes also Pelsall township in Wolverhampton parish. Pop., 9,237. Houses, 1,800.

Bloxwich through time

Bloxwich is now part of Walsall district. Click here for graphs and data of how Walsall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bloxwich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bloxwich, in Walsall and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21253

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bloxwich ".