Place:


Walkden  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walkden like this:

WALKDEN-MOOR, a chapelry in Eccles parish, Lancashire; 2 miles NNW of Eccles r. station. It was constituted in 1863; and it has a post-office under Bolton. Pop., about 3,000. The cotton manufacture is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Ellesmere. The church is recent and handsome.

Walkden through time

Walkden is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walkden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walkden, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21127

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walkden ".