Place:


Tytherton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tytherton like this:

KELLAWAYS, CALLOES, or TYTHERTON-KELWAYS, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and the Great Western railway, 3 miles NE of Chippenham. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 140. Real property, £1, 747. Pop., 18. Houses, 4. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. Freshets of the Avon used to overflow the land; and they occasioned the construction, in 1474, of a paved causeway "for the good of travellers." A Moravian settlement was established here in the time of Wesley and Whitfield. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £82. Patron, not reported. The church is modern.

Tytherton through time

Tytherton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tytherton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tytherton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21122

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tytherton ".