Place:


Roby  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roby like this:

ROBY, a township and a chapelry in Huyton parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 4½ miles E of Liverpool; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Liverpool. Acres, 980. Real property, £5, 177. Pop., 467. Houses, 82. R. Hall is the seat of T. E. Moss, Esq., and occupies the site of an ancient mansion. The chapelry ismore extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1853. Pop., 715. Houses, 127. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is good.

Roby through time

Roby is now part of Knowsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Knowsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roby, in Knowsley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21061

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roby ".