Place:


Pensnett  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pensnett like this:

PENSNETT, a hamlet and a chapelry in Kingswinford parish, Stafford. The hamlet lies adjacent to Worcestershire, near Brierley Hill r. station, and 2 miles S W of Dudley; and has a post-office‡ under Dudley. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 5, 639. Houses, 1,065. The inhabitants are employed in themining of coal, the smelting of iron ore, and the manufacture of hardware and glass. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250.* Patron, the Earl of Dudley. The church is modern.

Pensnett through time

Pensnett is now part of Dudley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dudley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pensnett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pensnett, in Dudley and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21051

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pensnett ".