Place:


Noss Mayo  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Noss Mayo like this:

NOSS-MAYO, a village and a chapelry in Revelstoke parish, Devon. The village stands on a creek of the Yealm estuary, opposite Newton-Ferrers, 6½ miles S by E of Plympton r. station, and 7 S E of Plymouth; consists of a straggling group of cottages, among devious lanes and patches of greenery, along a muddy and ill-drained shore; was greatly ravaged by cholera in 1849; and is said to have lost all its inhabitants, except 7, by a pestilence, in the early part of last century. ...


The chapelry has no definite limits. Post-town, Newton-Ferrers, under Ivy-Bridge. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Yealmpton, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was built in 1840.

Noss Mayo through time

Noss Mayo is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Noss Mayo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Noss Mayo, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21036

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Noss Mayo ".