Place:


Christleton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Christleton like this:

CHRISTLETON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Ellesmere canal and on the Chester and Crewe railway, 2 miles ESE of Chester; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 8 March and 8 Sept. Acres, 1, 465. Real property, £4, 617. Pop., 698. ...


Houses, 151. The parish includes also the townships of Littleton, Rowton, Cotton-Edmunds, and Cotton-Abbotts. Acres, 3, 191. Real property, £8, 437. Pop., 1, 006. Houses, 205. The manor belongs to J. B. Wood, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £900.* Patron, the Rev. E. T. Evans. The church was built in 1738. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £13.

Christleton through time

Christleton is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Christleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Christleton, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2102

Date accessed: 22nd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Christleton ".