Place:


Harpurhey  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harpurhey like this:

HARPURHEY, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irk, near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, within Manchester parliamentary borough, 2 miles NNE of the centre of Manchester; and has a post-office under Manchester and a police station. Acres, 192. ...


Real property, £3,476. Pop. in 1851,458; in 1861,827. Houses, 152. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity of Manchester. The property formerly was all in one estate; but, in 1846, lay divided among several. The Queen's park, an ornate public park of Manchester, comprising about 30 acres, and formed in 1845, is here; and the Manchester General cemetery, comprising about 11 acres, and formed in 1837, is adjacent to the Queen's park. There are a silk mill, two cotton mills, and three bleach and dye works.—The chapelry includes also the township of Moston, together with another and contiguous portion of Manchester parish; bears the name of Harpurhay-cum-Moston; and was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1854. Pop., 5,126. Houses, 1,042. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. * Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1838, at a cost of upwards of £4,000; is in the early English style; and has a lofty spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.

Harpurhey through time

Harpurhey is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harpurhey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harpurhey, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20941

Date accessed: 27th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harpurhey ".