Place:


Elton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elton like this:

ELTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bury district, Lancashire. The township is in Bury parish; lies adjacent to the Bury and Bolton and Bury and Haslingden railways, 1¾ mile WSW of Bury; and contains Starling and Summerseat. Post town, Bury, Lancashire. Acres, 2, 521. Real property, £36, 105; of which £1, 680 are in mines, £50 in quarries, and £1, 702 in gas-works. ...


Pop., 8, 172. Houses, 1, 494. The cotton, the paper, and the iron trades are carried on; and an increase of popnlation in the decade ending in 1861 arose from the prosperity of these trades, and -from the advantages of railway and canal communication. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 7, 716. Houses, 1, 394. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Bury. The church is an edifice in the Norman style. -The sub-district excludes the part of the township not in the chapelry, and includes part of another Bury township, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 3, 817. Pop., 9, 584. Houses, 1, 745.

Elton through time

Elton is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elton, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20911

Date accessed: 25th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elton ".