Place:


Claygate  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claygate like this:

CLAYGATE, or Cleygate, a manor-chapelry in. Thames-Ditton parish, Surrey; 2¾ miles SE of Esher r. . station, and 4¾ SSW of Kingston. It has a post office under Esher. Real property, £4, 197. Pop., 535. Houses, 99. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £75.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern.

Claygate through time

Claygate is now part of Elmbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claygate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claygate, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20878

Date accessed: 28th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claygate ".