Place:


Badbury  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badbury like this:

BADBURY, a tything and a hundred in Dorset. The tything is in Wimborne-Minster parish, 4½ miles NW of Wimborne. An ancient camp here, called Badbury Rings, crowns a naked hill; commands an extensive panoramic view; is planted with firs; consists of three concentric ramparts, each with an outer ditch, the outer most a mile in circumference; occurs on the line of a Roman road to Old Sarum; seems to have been originally British, but to have been afterwards occupied by both the Romans and the Saxons; and was held by Edward the Elder after the death of Alfred the Great.-The hundred lies in Wimborne division, and includes eight parishes. ...


Acres, 26,880. Pop. in 1851, 6,941. Houses, 1,414.

Badbury through time

Badbury is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Badbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badbury in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20659

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Badbury ".