Place:


Llanfarthin  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfarthin like this:

LLANMARTIN, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; near the South Wales railway, 2 ½ miles NE by E of Llanwern r. station, and 4 ESE of Caerleon. It contains the hamlet of Llandevand; and its Post town is Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 941. Real property, £1,422. Pop., 181. Houses, 32. ...


The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Wilerick, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £250.* Patron, W. P. Herrick, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Martin, and is good. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The parish has an interest in the alms house of Chepstow.

Llanfarthin through time

Llanfarthin is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfarthin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfarthin, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2060

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfarthin ".