Place:


Crumpsall  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crumpsall like this:

CRUMPSALL, a township and two chapelries in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irk, 2½ miles N of Manchester. Post town, Manchester. Acres, 733. Real property, £20, 329. Pop., 4, 285. Houses, 714. Crumpsall Hall was the seat of the Chethams; and passed to the Waklyns. ...


The chapelries are Crumpsall-St. Mary and Crumpsall-St. Thomas or Lower Crumpsall. Crumpsall-St. Mary was constituted in 1860, and did not include all the township. Pop., 3, 306. Houses, 525. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church was built in 1859, at a cost of £4, 420; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisles, with bell-turret and vestry. Crumpsall-St. Thomas was constituted in 1863; and is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Statistics not reported. Patron, the Bishop of M. The church was founded in 1862. There are three Methodist chapels, large schools, a mechanics' institute, and the Manchester new workhouse.

Crumpsall through time

Crumpsall is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crumpsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crumpsall, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20542

Date accessed: 19th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crumpsall ".