Place:


Newhaven  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newhaven like this:

Newhaven, fishing town and quoad sacra par., North Leith par., Edinburghshire, on Firth of Forth, 1 mile W. of Leith and 2½ miles N. of Edinburgh by rail, pop. 4694; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Its tidal harbour was reconstructed in 1876-1877 at a cost of £10,000.

Newhaven through time

Newhaven is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newhaven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newhaven, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20516

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newhaven ".