Place:


Granton  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Granton like this:

Granton, seaport with ry. sta., Cramond and St Cuthberts pars., Edinburghshire, on Firth of Forth, 2¾ miles NW. of Edinburgh, 2 miles W. of Leith, and 5 miles S. of Burntisland (to which there is a steamboat ferry), pop. (including part of Wardie) 927; P.O., T.O., called Granton Harbour, 1 Bank. ...


Granton Harbour affords refuge to large vessels in easterly gales. The harbour works were commenced in 1835 by the Duke of Buccleuch, the superior of the place. They comprise 2 breakwaters, E. and W. (3170 and 3100 ft. long), and a pier (1700 ft. long), slips, jetties, and a patent slip for vessels of 1400 tons. Granton was made a head port in 1860. It is the ferry station of the North British Ry.; it is also the headquarters of several lines of steamers (trading to Aberdeen, London, Norway, Sweden, &c.) and of the fishery protection and preventive vessels of the district. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The harbour has 3 fixed lights seen 8,7, and 6 miles. There is a very fine tobacco bonding warehouse at Granton. In the vicinity, at Caroline Park, is Granton Marine Station. Granton House, seat, is 1 mile W. of Granton; Granton Road, ry. sta., is ¾ mile SE. of Granton sta.

Granton through time

Granton is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Granton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Granton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20513

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Granton ".