Place:


Duddingston  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Duddingston like this:

Duddingston, coast par. and vil. with ry. sta., Edinburghshire -- par., 1731 ac., pop. 7830; vil., 2½ miles SE. of Edinburgh post-office, pop. 333; P.O. The par. is partly within the parl. and royal burgh of Edinburgh, and contains the greater part of the town of Portobello. In the par. ...


also are the hamlet of Duddingston Mills, with Cauvin's Hospital and public school, ¼ mile from vil.; the hamlet of Easter Duddingston, 1¼ mile SE. of Portobello ry. sta.; Duddingston House, the property of the Duke of Abercorn; and Duddingston Loch, adjacent to vil., at SE. base of Arthur's Seat. Many interesting bronze implements have been found in the loch, which is much resorted to in winter for curling and skating.

Duddingston through time

Duddingston is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duddingston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duddingston, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20511

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duddingston ".