Place:


Cramond  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cramond like this:

Cramond, par. and vil., partly in Linlithgowshire, but chiefly in Edinburghshire, on S. coast of Firth of Forth, at mouth of river Almond, 5 miles NW. of Edinburgh, 5277 ac., pop. 3004; P.O.; has paper-mills and carries on some fishing. It occupies site of Roman sta., and many Roman relics have been found here. ...


Adjacent is the ancient seat of Cramond House; 1 mile S. of vil. is Cramond Bridge; P.O.; 1 mile from the shore is Cramond Island, accessible on foot at low water, pop. 3. In the par. formerly was Cramond Regis, an ancient hunting seat of the Scottish kings.

Cramond through time

Cramond is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cramond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cramond, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20510

Date accessed: 22nd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cramond".