Place:


St Johns Wood  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Johns Wood like this:

JOHN'S WOOD (ST.), a metropolitan suburb and three chapelries in Marylebone parish, Middlesex. The suburb lies between the Regent's Park and the Edgwareroad, near the Northwestern railway, on the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood railway, 3½ miles NW of St. Paul's; occupies ground which belonged to St. ...


John's priory, Clerkenwell: is a fashionable quarter, with well-built airy streets and places; has post offices under London NW, and a police station; and contains three churches, several dissenting chapels, the Congregational new college, the Clergy orphan school, Lord's cricket ground, and parks. Christ chapel, the oldest of the three churches, was built in 1814; is in the Ionic style, after designs by Hardwicke; and contains many monuments, some of which are by Chantrey or by Wyatt. St. Mark's church was built in 1847, at a cost of £9, 830 after designs by Cundy. The Congregational new college was formed in 1850, by the junction of Coward and Homerton colleges with Highbury college; is an edifice in the late perpendicular style, after designs by Eminett; trains young men for the Christian ministiy, through a curriculum of five years; and, in 186 4-5, had an income of £4, 176. The Clergy orphan school, at the census of 1861, had 84 inmates; and the barracks had 172.-The chapelries are Christ Chapel, All Saints, and St. Mark. The first has no definite limits; the second was constituted in 18 46; and the third was constituted in 1850. Pop. in 1861, of All Saints, 5, 481; of St. Mark, 4, 756. Houses, 845 and 698. Two of the livings are p. curacies, and St. Mark's a vicarage, in the diocese of London. Value of Christ chapel, not reported; of All Saints, £400; of St. Mark, £600. Patrons of Christ chapel, Trustees; of All Saints, Col. Eyre; of St. Mark, the Crown.

St Johns Wood through time

St Johns Wood is now part of Westminster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Westminster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Johns Wood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Johns Wood, in Westminster and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20429

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Johns Wood ".