Place:


Rhiw  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhiw like this:

RHIW, a village and a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon. The village stands on high rugged ground, adjacent to the head of Hells-Mouth bay, 10½ miles S W of Pwllheli r. station. The parish comprises 1, 493 acres of land, and 160 of foreshore; and its post town is Llan-engan, under Pwllheli. ...


Real property, £807. Pop., 370. Houses, 87 The property is divided among a few. Myndd-Rhiw has an altitude of 1,013 feet The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Llandudwen, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £97.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is early English.

Rhiw through time

Rhiw is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhiw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhiw, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20422

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhiw ".