Place:


Methil  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Methil like this:

Methil, a seaport village in Wemyss parish, Fife, on the Firth of Forth, 1 mile SW of Leven, and 1¼ NE of Buckhaven. Constituted a burgh of barony in 1662 by the Bishop of St Andrews, it has long possessed commercial importance, in consequence of its harbour being one of the best on the S coast of Fife. ...


The E pier was greatly injured by a storm in 1803, with the effect of choking the entrance to the harbour, but was restored in 1838 at a cost of more than £6100; and a new wet dock, principally for facilitating the shipping of coals, was constructed in 1875. An Established church, built in 1837-38 at a cost of £1030, and containing upwards of 800 sittings, in 1875 was raised to quoad sacra status. Pop. of village (1836) 508, (1861) 522, (1871) 648, (1881) 754; of q. s. parish (1881) 2342, of whom 501 were in Markinch.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.

Methil through time

Methil is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Methil itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Methil in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20370

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Methil ".