Place:


Lochranza  Buteshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lochranza like this:

Loch Ranza, a small village, situated round the head of a bay or loch of the same name, on the N coast of Arran, Buteshire. The loch, which opens from Kilbrannan Sound, pierces the land in a SSE direction, and has a length of 7 furlongs and a breadth of ½ mile. At its upper end, a grass-covered peninsula, terminating in a shingly spit, stretches almost across the loch, and leaves only a narrow opening for the water to pass into the inner harbour, formed by this natural breakwater. ...


This harbour affords safer anchoring ground than the loch, which is much exposed to sudden squalls, and, in consequence, the fishermen prefer to lay their boats up in it. In the herring-season, however, the loch is often crowded with fishing-boats, as it is conveniently near Loch Fyne, Kilbrannan Sound, etc. Beyond the harbour lies a stretch of marshy ground, through which the Ranza Burn flows by many channels to the sea. On both sides of the loch the hills rise to a considerable height, while the low ground behind the harbour is backed by the range of Caisteal Abhael (2735 feet), Meall Mor (1602), and Torr Nead an Eoin (1057), mountains which are separated by two glens. On the E is Glen Chalmadale, up which passes the carriage road to Corrie; and on the W is Glen Easan Biarach, which contains some very grand scenery. Such are the natural surroundings that belong-

To the lone hamlet, which her inland bay
And circling mountains sever from the world.

The village of Loch Ranza may be approached either by land from Brodick (15 miles SSE) or direct by sea, the Campbeltown steamers stopping off the mouth of the bay, and a large ferry-boat going out for goods and passengers. It contains a post-office under Greenock, an inn, a public school, two or three small shops, a line of cottages on the W side of the bay, and a few houses, irregularly dotted round the head and E side of the loch. The Free church is a neat, modern building of reddish sandstone. Service is held regularly in it, and it is the only church in the neighbourhood, the nearest Established church being at Brodick. Loch Ranza gives name to a registration district. Pop. (1861) 824, (187l) 777, (1881) 714.

Loch Ranza Castle stands upon the peninsula which stretches across the bay. All that now remains is a square tower with thick walls, which, combined with its situation, must have made the Castle almost impregnable. The building is now roofless. Although it is not known when the Castle was erected, it must be very old, since it is mentioned as ` a hunting-seat of the Scottish kings in 1380, when it was regarded as one of the royal castles.' Like many other places in Arran, Loch Ranza and its castle are associated with the name of Robert the Bruce. No vestige now remains either of the chapel, built by Anne, Duchess of Hamilton, or of the convent of St Bride.—Ord. Sur., sh. 21, 1870.

Lochranza through time

Lochranza is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lochranza itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lochranza, in North Ayrshire and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20354

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lochranza ".