Place:


Invermoriston  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Invermoriston like this:

Invermoriston, a hamlet in Urquhart and Glenmoriston parish, Inverness-shire, at the mouth of Glenmoriston, on the NW side of Loch Ness, 7 miles NNE of Fort Augustus. It has a post office (Glenmoriston), with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an inn, and a public school. Invermoriston House is an old but modernised mansion, the seat of Ian Robert James Murray Grant, Esq. ...


of Glenmoriston (b. 1860; suc. 1868), whose ancestor got a charter of the estate in 1509, and who holds 74, 646 acres in the shire, valued at £4955 per annum. It was at Invermoriston, in 1773, that Dr Johnson first conceived the thought of his tour to the Hebrides.—Ord. Sur., sh. 73, 1878.

Invermoriston through time

Invermoriston is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Invermoriston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Invermoriston, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20316

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Invermoriston ".